For the last few years, Universal Orlando Resort has been hard at work on bringing a new Jurassic World-themed roller coaster to its Islands of Adventure park. It hasn’t exactly been a secret, since the incomplete tracks currently tower above the park’s other structures. But now, the resort is finally ready to show fans what they’ve been building. Via Collider, the Jurassic World VelociCoaster will officially open to the public in 2021.
Universal also released a trailer for the upcoming attraction, which surrounds the Jurassic Park Discovery Center. The VelociCoaster will span more than 4,700 feet of track and reach as high as 155 feet. Riders will fly through the air at 70 miles per hour in an experience designed to simulate what it’s like to be a velociraptor on the hunt. When it’s finished, the ride promises to be “the fastest and tallest launch coaster” in Florida.
It also sounds like Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, and BD Wong will all reprise their Jurassic World film roles in footage filmed specifically for the new coaster. The ride’s story is that the VelociCoaster serves as a “carnivore expansion” for the namesake theme park. Additionally, Universal has shared a list of features for the attraction:
- Accelerate through two pulse-pounding launches, the fastest reaching 70 mph in 2.4 seconds.
- Encounter a one-of-a-kind, 360-degree barrel roll right above the Islands of Adventure lagoon.
- Experience a zero-gravity inverted stall that will send riders upside down across 100 feet of track in a jaw-dropping maneuver that is the first of its kind.
- Go airborne during the towering “Top Hat,” which propels riders 155 feet in the air and then immediately into an 80 degree drop – Universal’s steepest drop yet.
- Brace for a total of 12 heart-pounding seconds of airtime – the thrilling sensation of weightlessness riders feel when they’re lifted from their seats – throughout the entire adventure.
You can watch the new trailer for the Jurassic World VelociCoaster and view concept art for the ride below. Are you excited to ride the coaster for yourself next summer? Let us know in the comment section!
Recommended Reading: Jurassic Park: The Original Novel
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.