Earlier this summer, Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit against Walt Disney Pictures alleging that Black Widow‘s simultaneous release in theaters and on Disney+ cost her up to $50 million in lost revenue. Disney responded with an unusually aggressive tone in a series of public remarks. However, there will be no showdown in court. Via The Hollywood Reporter, both sides have reached a settlement.
“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” said Johansson in a statement. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”
The terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but a financial agreement was always the most likely outcome. Especially since Johansson is still producing, and potentially starring in, Disney’s Tower of Terror.
UPDATE: Deadline‘s sources suggest that the settlement netted Johansson around $40 million.
RELATED: Disney Slams Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow Lawsuit As a PR Campaign
“I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding Black Widow,” said Disney Studios chairman Alan Bergman in his own statement. “We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror.”
Black Widow will be available to all Disney+ subscribers on October 6.
What do you think about the resolution of the Black Widow lawsuit? Let us know in the comment section below!
Recommended Reading: Marvel Knights Black Widow by Grayson & Rucka: The Complete Collection
We are also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program also provides a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.