HBO Launches Watchmen AR Mask Contest
The hype continues to build for HBO’s adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ Watchmen; which debuts in just a few weeks. But as the series heads towards its premiere at New York Comic Con, HBO has unveiled a unique contest for the show.
HBO is teaming up with Spark AR for a new promotion called “Mask Off.” The contest invites users to “create an AR mask effect for the Watchmen world.” It’s not an easy task, but a select few that are up to the challenge will be handsomely rewarded for their efforts. Three grand prize winners will receive a check for $10,000, and have their mask design featured on the official Watchmen Instagram and Facebook pages.
The five steps to enter are listed below, taken straight from the official contest page:
- Create an original AR Mask effect using Spark AR Studio based on the theme and details conveyed in the Watchmen Toolkit.
- Export and submit your effect for publishing to Instagram.
- Record a video (five to 20 seconds in length) demonstrating your effect.
- Publicly post your video on Instagram in-feed. Include 4 tags in the caption so we can find it:
- Complete the Submission Form with the required information, including a link to your effect by 11:59:59 PM ET on October 6, 2019.
Keep in mind that there are multiple categories for judging of the masks, including creativity and functionality. So don’t just make a typical Rorschach design – go nuts with that Watchmen expertise! Once fans complete their designs, they can submit their information with this form. Good luck to all those that enter!
HBO’s Watchmen series premieres on October 20.
What kind of inventive mask designs do you want to see in this contest? Let us know in the comments below!
Recommended Reading: Watchmen: DC Modern Classics Edition