Next Star Wars Movies Confirmed to Be From Game of Thrones Creators

Next Star Wars Movies Confirmed to Be From Game of Thrones Creators

Speaking at the MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed the next batch of Star Wars movies. The upcoming trilogy is the one by Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

“The Benioff and Weiss series will be the next Star Wars movies released,” Iger said.

One week ago The Walt Disney Company put out their film slate through 2027. It included three mystery Star Wars films dated for December 16, 2022, December 20, 2024 and December 18, 2026.

That’s a longer break between the next Star Wars film and the planned 2022 movie. Iger said: “We’re hard at work already, but we felt three years was the proper amount of time to not only take a breather and reset, but to gear up for the next film’s release.”

RELATED: Disney CEO Teases a Third Live-Action Star Wars Series

Lucasfilm revealed last year that the pair would write and produce a new series of Star Wars films. They will be separate from the episodic Skywalker saga. They’re also separate from the previously announced trilogy in development from The Last Jedi‘s Rian Johnson.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, previously said. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No word has been revealed about when Rian Johnson’s trilogy will arrive. Meanwhile, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will be released on December 20 of this year.