Marvel’s Spider-Man Is the Best-Selling Superhero Video Game
While many gamers are (patiently) awaiting Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order to arrive, the NPD provided a look at the top-selling superhero games of all time. And one hero managed to outperform the others.
Mat Piscatella, who works as an analyst for the group, shared some interesting numbers to kick off San Diego Comic-Con. Topping the list was none other than Insomniac Games’ Marvel’s Spider-Man for PlayStation 4, which released last year. Since its release, it’s sold more than nine million copies sold (as of January). That’s thanks to its innovative gameplay, sharp visuals, and continuous downloadable content support, including new costumes.
“Congratulations to Marvel’s Spider-Man, the best-selling Superhero Video Game of all-time in the U.S.!” noted Piscatella in his report.
That said, Batman didn’t fare too badly in the top ten. Both Batman: Arkham City and Batman: Arkham Knight landed in second and third place positions. Rounding out the top five were Lego Batman (the original release) and Lego Marvel Super Heroes, both from Warner Bros.’ game division.
As for the rest of the list, two more Spider-Man games, produced by Activision, followed closely behind. Spider-Man: The Video Game and Spider-Man 2: The Video Game both ended up being popular favorites with gamers, thanks to their open-world structure.
Rounding out the top ten were three other DC Comics favorites. Injustice: Gods Among Us and its sequel, Injustice 2, took eighth and tenth place positions on the list. Meanwhile, Batman: Arkham Asylum, the first of Rocksteady’s Dark Knight trilogy, ended up in ninth place.
The full top ten list is below:
- Marvel’s Spider-Man (PlayStation 4)
- Batman: Arkham City (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
- Lego Batman (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii)
- Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PC)
- Spider-Man: The Video Game (PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube)
- Spider-Man 2: The Video Game (PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U)
- Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
- Injustice 2 (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC)
What do you think about Marvel’s Spider-Man‘s new status as best-selling superhero game of all time? Let us know in the comments below!
Recommended Reading: Marvel’s Spider-Man: The Art of the Game