Deadpool 2 resumes production after fatal stunt accident
Following the tragic accident on the set of Deadpool 2 on Monday, and the revelation that work had halted on the upcoming sequel, Deadline reports that production has officially resumed on the movie this morning. Professional road racer-turned-stunt driver Joi “SJ” Harris tragically passed away while performing a stunt on the film earlier this week.
“We tragically lost a member of our crew while filming Deadpool,” producer and star Ryan Reynolds said following the accident. “We’re heartbroken, shocked and devastated… but recognize nothing can come close to the grief and inexplicable pain her family and loved ones must feel in this moment. My heart pours out to them — along with each and every person she touched in this world.”
Harris had only been hired by the production the week before and was performing as a double for Zazie Beetz during a motorcycle chase sequence. The outlet reports that tragically Harris had already successfully completed several takes of the sequence before the accident occurred. Due to the short time frame of Harris’ hiring as well, the actress wasn’t wearing a helmet during the scene. The site says the previous stunt double did have a helmet outfitted to go under the Domino wig, but Harris did not have time to get such a helmet made for her.
The Vancouver Police Department and WorkSafeBC continue to investigate the accident.
Directed by David Leitch, Deadpool 2 is set to debut in theaters on June 1, 2018.