Stellan Skarsgard Will Skip Thor: Ragnarok, Could Return for Avengers: Infinity War

Stellan Skarsgard could return for Avengers: Infinity War

Back in January, directors Anthony and Joe Russo put out a very specific number of characters that they’ll be juggling in Avengers: Infinity War and we may have another idea of who one of those 67 characters will be. Speaking with Den of Geek, Stellan Skarsgard (star of both of the previous “Thor” and “Avengers” films) says he’s not returning for the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok, but could make his way into “Infinity War.”

“I have a five-film deal with them, and they still have one option,” he tells the outlet. “Thor 3 is not on my slate, but maybe the next Avengers.”

By Skarsgard’s own admission, his character, Dr Erik Selvig, has the powers of super-exposition, so when the characters learn about Thanos or his Infinity Gauntlet, it could be from him.

Screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely will pen the scripts for the two-part feature which will also see Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War directors Anthony and Joe Russo returning. Both parts of the film will be filmed entirely in IMAX.

“The intent with the Infinity War films is to bring ten years of accumulative storytelling to an incredible climax,” Joe and Anthony Russo previously said. “We felt that the best way to exploit the scale and scope required to close out the final chapter of these three phases, was to be the first films shot entirely on the IMAX/ARRI Digital camera.”

Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 is slated for release in theaters on May 4, 2018; Part 2 will open on May 3, 2019.