There’s some terrible news coming out of Los Angeles this afternoon as local news station KTLA reports that Harrison Ford has been hospitalized following a plane crash in Venice, California. Although the Los Angeles Fire Department initially reported that the Indiana Jones star was taken away in critical condition, they have now clarified that Ford is in fair to moderate condition.
Ford, 72, is an avid pilot and was flying a single person PT-22 when mechanical issues midflight forced him to make a crash landing at Penmar Golf Course. Eye witnesses on the scene said that the actor was visibly harmed with a gash across his forehead. He did walk away from the crash, however, and is said to have been fully conscious when the paramedics arrived.
We’ll update this story with an official statement as soon as one becomes available, but our thoughts are with Ford and we’re wishing him the best for a fast recovery.
Ford can be seen later this year in Lee Toland Krieger’s The Age of Adaline, starring opposite Blake Lively, before returning as Han Solo in the much anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Ford was also confirmed last week for a Blade Runner sequel. He’ll reprise his role as Rick Deckard with Denis Villeneuve directing.
UPDATE #1: Some very good news has arrived from Harrison Ford’s son, Ben Ford, who just tweeted the following:
At the hospital. Dad is ok. Battered, but ok! He is every bit the man you would think he is. He is an incredibly strong man.
— Chef Ben Ford (@ChefBenFord) March 6, 2015
UPDATE #2: Harrison Ford’s publicist has released the following official statement: “Harrison was flying a WW2 vintage plane today which had engine trouble upon take off. He had no other choice but to make an emergency landing, which he did safely. He was banged up and is in the hospital receiving medical care. The injuries sustained are not life threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery.”
(Photo Credit: WENN.com)