Comic-Con: Black Widow Footage Description, Taskmaster Confirmed
Last night Marvel Studios officially confirmed that Black Widow will be the first movie in Marvel’s Phase Four, and screened the first footage from the movie.
We now have a full recap of the teaser shown from io9, which includes:
- A montage of Widow in all the other Marvel movies with the following voice-over. “I used to have nothing. Then I got this job. This family. I was better because of it. I’ve made mistakes. I can’t go back.”
- A massive establishing shot and BAM, the word “Budapest” on the screen.
- Widow is walking into an old apartment building with her gun drawn. She turns a corner, gun still drawn, still very cautious, and there’s Yelena Belova played by Florence Pugh with her gun drawn. They tell each other to put the guns down. Neither does. There’s a tense beat and, at the exact same time, using the exact same move, each woman takes the gun of the other out of their hand. Now they each have each other’s guns. Then another time they do the same thing. And then the fight begins.
- It feels like a fight from a Jason Bourne movie or Captain America: The Winter Soldier. At one point Yelena grabs a huge kitchen knife and comes at Widow. The fight continues. It ends with both of them, on the floor, each choking the other with what looks like a curtain. I think they both pass out. Cut to Widow pouring out some drinks. “Good to see you too, sis,” she says.
- From there the trailer cuts into a montage. Widow is running on a beautiful mountain range. There are other agents like her pointing guns off the roof of a building. A motorcycle chase a la Mission Impossible.
- Finally, Widow is in a car that gets smashed into on a bridge in the night. She’s hurt, the car is burning but she looks out and something is coming for her. She shoots but this shape pulls out a shield to stop the bullets. A fight begins and, again, they have a similar fight style. After a few moves, they both kneel and look up at each other in the same position, as if they are mirrored.
- This character had a mask on and a shield with a symbol that looked almost like two bowls attached at the bottom. Yes, it very much looked like The Taskmaster.
Head over to io9 to read the full description of the footage!
As far as the film’s placement in the MCU timeline, David Harbour confirmed to IGN that the events of the movie are set after Captain America: Civil War, but before Avengers: Infinity War.
Scarlett Johansson returns as Natasha Romanoff, a spy and assassin who grew up being trained by the KGB before breaking from their grasp and becoming an agent of SHIELD and an Avenger. Other cast members include O-T Fagbenle (The Handmaid’s Tale) as Mason, Golden Globe nominee David Harbour (Stranger Things, Hellboy) as Alexei aka The Red Guardian, Florence Pugh (Fighting with My Family) as Yelena, and Oscar winner Rachel Weisz (The Favourite) as Melina.
The movie is being directed by Cate Shortland (Lore) from a script by Jac Schaeffer (The Hustle). Black Widow will debut in theaters on May 1, 2020.
[Gallery not found]