Kathleen Kennedy Talks Future Star Wars Movies

Kathleen Kennedy Talks Future Star Wars Movies

Kathleen Kennedy talks future Star Wars movies

That galaxy far, far away finally returned last year with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and the franchise won’t be stopped for the foreseeable future with a new Star Wars film set to hit theaters every year up through 2019. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will be released in just a few weeks on December 16, with Star Wars: Episode VIII following on December 15, 2017, the Untitled Han Solo movie on May 25, 2018, and Star Wars: Episode IX coming in 2019, but what comes next? Another trilogy or more standalone movies?

“That’s a conversation going on right now, too,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told EW. “I have to honestly tell you, could we [do nothing but stand-alones]? Sure. But I don’t know. We are looking at all of that… There are [possible movies] that we have been talking a lot about, but we are planning to sit down in January, since we will have had The Force Awakens released, now Rogue One, and we’ve finished shooting Episode VIII. We have enough information where we can step back a little bit and say, What are we doing? What do we feel is exciting? And what are some of the things we want to explore?”

RELATED: Han Solo Movie Will Be Like a Western, Says Kathleen Kennedy

Along with their interview with Kennedy, the outlet also confirms previous rumors that the planned third “Star Wars Story” was in fact about the infamous bounty hunter, Boba Fett. Josh Trank was set to direct the film and EW reports Lucasfilm came so close to announcing the film that a teaser trailer was prepared for Star Wars Celebration 2015, though it was ultimately shelved. It remains to be seen if this film will eventually be made or has fallen into the Sarlacc pit for good.

What films do you want to see Lucasfilm make in the Star Wars universe? Do you want to see a fourth trilogy or more standalone films? Sound off in the comments below!