Benicio Del Toro in talks for new Predator movie
Deadline brings word that Benicio Del Toro is in talks to star in 20th Century Fox‘s new Predator movie, a reboot of the action franchise. Del Toro is no stranger to starring in sci-fi action fair, having appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy and the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VIII.
Iron Man 3 and The Nice Guys director Shane Black will direct the Predator movie from a script by his Monster Squad co-writer Fred Dekker, featuring a story the pair wrote together. Filming is expected to start in February 2017, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Details on the film are still under wraps, but producer John Davis previously said: “The writing is so fresh, the perspective is so fresh. I’m telling you, you’re going to get something you don’t expect and you’re going to say, ‘This is the most entertaining way to reinvent a franchise.’”
Black also previously confirmed that the film remains in the continuity of the first two movies and isn’t a full reboot of the series. He said there is a reference in the script as to why the film has a singular title.
The original Predator was directed by John McTiernan and starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as the leader of a United States special forces team that comes under attack from an alien entity that prizes the thrill of the hunt above all else. It was followed by a direct sequel, Predator 2, in 1990 before crossing over with Fox’s Alien franchise for two additional sequels, Alien vs. Predator and AvP: Requiem. In 2010, Nimrod Antal helmed a reboot with a new feature, Predators.
The Predator will be released in theaters on February 9, 2018.
(Photo Credit: Apega/WENN.com)