Will Indiana Jones 5 Reteam Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford?

Will Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford reteam for Indiana Jones 5?

Steven Spielberg suggests that he and Harrison Ford will both be back for Indiana Jones 5

Will Harrison Ford once again wear the iconic fedora for a Steven Spielberg-helmed Indiana Jones 5? Spielberg himself certainly makes it sound like that’s the plan, speaking with Yahoo! Movies on behalf of his latest film, Bridge of Spies. Set for release this Friday, October 16, Bridge of Spies stars Tom Hanks and marks the Academy Award-winning actor’s fourth teaming with Spielberg. As you can watch for yourself in the below video conversation, Spielberg, sitting next to Hanks, explains that Hanks and Ford are currently tied when it comes to the number of times they’ve been his leading man.

“We’ve gotta figure this out because now,” Spielberg says. “Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies. Now I’ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison. It’ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom… [Then] I’ve got to make another one with Tom, so that will be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!”

Although he ends with a joke, Spielberg sounds quite earnest about doing an Indiana Jones 5 with Ford. Of course, one of the bigger headlines from earlier this year was the announcement that Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm were eyeing Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt to potentially replace Harrison Ford as the headlining star of the Indiana Jones franchise with rumors then that Spielberg might come back to direct. It’s even entirely possible that an Indiana Jones 5 could feature both leading men, offering up a story told between two different time periods.

Although the most recent big screen adventure, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was not entirely a hit with critics, the fourth film in the series managed to gross more than $786 million worldwide when it was released in 2008. Shortly thereafter, George Lucas hinted that plans were underway for a fifth cinematic adventure, but he admitted that he had yet to decide on a MacGuffin (A term popularized by Alfred Hitchcock, referring to a narrative element that drives the story forward, such as the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark). Following the sale of Lucasfilm to Walt Disney Pictures and Lucas’ own subsequent retirement, however, hints regarding plans for the future of the franchise have been few and far between. Ford, however, has suggested that he’s quite eager to reprise the role himself, despite turning 73 this year.

Do you want to see Harrison Ford return for Indiana Jones 5? Let us know in the comments below!