Star Wars Theme Park Attractions Will be Based on the New Films

star was theme park header

Since the acquisition of Lucasfilm by Disney, it was only a matter of time before there was a significant expansion of all things “Star Wars” in the company’s theme parks. Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger has spoken about it previously and was asked about the prospect at the Variety’s Dealmakers Breakfast  this week where he revealed the attractions would be based on the upcoming films rather than the older ones.

“There will be a much larger ‘Star Wars’ presence in our parks globally,” Iger said “But we want to do this big, which takes time, and to do it right…I didn’t want someone to say, ‘I just saw the movie and there’s nothing in that movie in this (attraction).’ We waited to see what this film would have in it.”

Iger went on to confirm that Disney’s Imagineering team was in early development on attractions based on the old film, but that was discontinued once they figured out their upcoming slate of films and how they could be used in the parks.

“We couldn’t tell them what was new,” Iger said. “I slowed it all down so what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future. Now we have a sense of what’s in ‘Star Wars 8,’ and what some of the standalone films will have in them.”

Our first look at new Star Wars attractions will come next year, just in time for the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18.