DC’s latest animated film Superman: Unbound will be released on May 7 on DVD, Blu-ray and digital download, and we’ve received word on the exclusive Blu-ray features for the film. Totaling over 4 1/2 hours, they are:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Featurette – “Kandor: History of the Bottle City” – An all-new featurette. Kandor: a peaceful scientific community dedicated toward the preservation of all that is good on Krypton, the home world of Superman. That is, until the city was ripped from its world and placed into a small glass bottle! This is the short story highlighting the shrunken city of Kandor. Its history just as fascinating as it is unique, here is how it ties in directly with the Man of Tomorrow.
• Featurette – “Brainiac: Technology and Terror” – An all-new featurette. Mostly machine, but part sentient being, Brainiac steals cities and destroys worlds. Is he the most vile of Superman’s villainous foes? Experience the Brainiac mythology and find out why Superman barely stands a chance!
• Audio Commentary – Featuring members of the creative team: Mike Carlin, Bob Goodman and James Tucker.
• Four bonus episodes from Superman: The Animated Series (“The Last Son of Krypton, Part 1”; “New Kids in Town”; and “Little Girl Lost, Parts 1 & 2”), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
• Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.
• Sneak Peek at Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
Based on the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank 2008 release “Superman: Brainiac,” Superman: Unbound finds the Man of Steel aptly handling day-to-day crime while helping acclimate Supergirl to Earth’s customs and managing Lois Lane’s expectations for their relationship. Personal issues take a back seat when the horrific force responsible for the destruction of Krypton – Brainiac – begins his descent upon Earth. Brainiac has crossed the universe, collecting cities from interesting planets – including Supergirl’s home city of Kandor – and now the all-knowing, ever-improving android has his sights fixed on Metropolis. Superman must summon all of his physical and intellectual resources to protect his city, the love of his life and his newly-arrived cousin.
The film’s voicecast is led by Matt Bomer (“White Collar”) as Superman, John Noble (“Fringe”, The Lord of the Rings) as Brainiac, Stana Katic (“Castle”) as Lois Lane and Molly Quinn (“Castle”) as Supergirl. Additional voices in the cast include Golden Globe Award winner Frances Conroy (“Six Feet Under”) as Ma Kent, Wade Williams (The Dark Knight Rises) as Perry White, Diedrich Bader (“The Drew Carey Show”, Office Space) as Steve Lombard, Stephen Root (“Boardwalk Empire”, “Justified”) as Zor-El, and Alexander Gould (“Weeds”) as Jimmy Olsen.