Page 3 of 3
While this sequel is the one that's the furthest away and they haven't even hired or announced a director just yet, Captain America: the First Avenger had a lot of fans due to the casting of Chris Evans and a great supporting cast like Stanley Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones. Director Joe Johnston really delivered a solid superhero movie, his first since The Rocketeer and I'm sure more than a few fans were disappointed that he wasn't immediately signed on for a sequel. Fortunately, Captain America is a character so rich in history that Marvel can really do a lot with him so we're not too worried that the sequel will be placed in capable hands.
Whoever directs, here are the five things we'd want to see.
1. Sharon Carter – Since the romance between Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter was such a big part of Captain America: The First Avenger, we have to imagine that he's going to have a love interest in the modern day and who better to play Peggy's S.H.I.E.L.D. agent granddaughter Sharon Carter than Haley Atwell herself, this time with blonde hair? (There were rumors that "The Mentalist" star Amanda Righetti's S.H.I.E.L.D. agent at the end of The First Avenger was actually Sharon Carter but that was never confirmed.)
2. The Falcon – Without putting my foot in my mouth like I did with my Black Panther suggestion for The Avengers 2, there really has never been a partner for Cap than The Falcon, and he is a great visual character to introduce to the Marvel Movie Universe. It's already been hinted that The Falcon may be introduced in Cap 2, but we really hope that he'll be used as a similar fashion as Rhodey in the "Iron Man" movies to give Cap a buddy and confident in the modern world other than Nick Fury.
3. Do we really need to bother with WWII?--That aspect of Cap's life seemed pretty well-covered in the first movie even though that's probably a lot of what people liked about Joe Johnston's movie. Personally, we think that they've done about as much as they can do there without boring moviegoers, and it seems to us like seeing Cap facing modern-day enemies and situations alongside S.H.I.E.L.D. would make for a far more interesting movie.
4. Possibly hint at the Winter Soldier – It seems obvious this is where Marvel is going with the Bucky Barnes character played by Sebastian Stan, and frankly, we were kind of bummed by how quickly he was "killed" and forgotten in Captain America: The First Avenger, never to be mentioned again. We're not sure we want to have that be a major storyline in the Cap sequel, but that'd be a great cliffhanger ending to set up a third movie, wouldn't it? (Folks who read the comics already know that the Winter Soldier has a relationship with Black Widow, so that's something that can easily be introduced into the film world as well.)
5. Make it clear that the Red Skull is still alive in present day – The Red Skull is a major Cap villain and we can't imagine he'd be dead back in WWII because he has to come back and plague him in present day like he does constantly in the comics. Even if this is also just a cliffhanger to end the movie, we want to be reassured that Hugo Weaving will be back in the role he played so perfectly. Oh, and while we're at it, let's see Arnim Zola in his more familiar android form.
Let us know what you think of our thoughts on the Marvel sequels, whether you agree or disagree, and post any thoughts you might have on things you want to see in the comments below.